Wednesday 16 December 2009

Ugly truth of how to prepare for sisters role

:: This video originally appeared on the Express & Star website on 16th December 2009 ::



From the bright, red lipstick to the ghastly frocks, Ben Stock and Nathan Kiley definitely look the part as the ghastly Ugly Sisters in this year’s pantomime Cinderella at Wolverhampton’s Grand Theatre.

But it’s not such a simple task to look this bad and appear, well, ugly.

The pair, who play Trinny and Susannah in the family show, have to painstakingly apply their own make-up for every show, and it’s not an easy task – especially since they were given no training.

Ben said: “No-one showed us how to apply the make-up we just made it up at home,” he said. “It took a lot of practice.” To transform into the show’s baddies, Ben and Nathan have to use wax on their eyebrows, apply very heavy eye make-up and add on the customary beauty spot to their faces.

And they have up to six costume changes for one show, which includes changing into different tights, shoes, dresses and wigs – not so easy if you happen to be a couple of blokes. Nathan added: “We went make-up shopping with a friend which was quite comical.

“We also have outrageous outfits and vulgar colours for our eyes.”

They have to don ghastly dresses and totter around the stage in high heels.

A fractured finger makes the process even harder for Ben, who also sprained his ankle two weeks ago.

“The show must go on,” he added.

1 comment:

laura_123 said...

Cinderlla is the best pantomime I've seen. As a teacher I went earlier this month with my school expecting an average panto performance for the children, but I was blown away by the settings, music, singing, dancing and laugh out loud laughter moments. I enjoyed it so much I took my whole family again, trying not to spoil the best bits for them. However the best thing was definitely the ugly step sisters. I laughed out loud everytime they entered the stage. BSuch billiant actors with great enthusiasm. I'll be telling everybody I meet to see Cinderalla before it's too late. My class of children can't stop talking about it. Well done to all involved.